Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl hit the box office in 2003 as a big-budget pirate film. Starring Johnny Depp in lead along with Geoffrey Rush, Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightley, Jonathan Pryce the film generated huge pre-release buzz and was received immensely well worldwide.
Directed by Gore Verbinski, over the years the film has settled on a 8/10 score by IMDB users.
Let’s have a look at some interesting box office facts about the film.
1) Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl did a worldwide business of $654.2 million globally. In the US, the film did a business of $305.4 million.
2) As the film released back in 2003, it proved to be 4th highest grosser of the year globally. The worldwide collections of the film were more than Bruce Almighty ($484.5 million), Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines ($433.3 million), The Matrix Revolutions ($427.3 million) and others.
3) In the US as well, the film proved to be 3rd highest grosser of the year. It was only behind The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King ($377 million) & Finding Nemo ($339.7 million).
4) Even after 17 years of its release, the film stands as 139th highest-grossing film of all time.
5) Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl was made on a budget of $140 million and it was really huge back in 2003.
6) It is the 7th highest-grossing film of Johnny Depp worldwide.
7) Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl did an international business of $348.8 million. The best overseas contributors for the film were Japan ($59.8 million), UK ($47.8 million), Germany ($44.6 million), Spain ($27.1 million), France ($22.1 million).
8) In India, the film did a business of 6 crores approx.
Do you love Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl movie and the franchise overall? What are your thoughts on the above facts? Let us know in the comments section.
Stay Tuned to Koimoi for more Box Office updates and facts related to popular films and franchise.