Advertisement

The Shri Rajput Karni Sena on Tuesday said it was “disheartened” with the Supreme Court dismissing pleas to ban the release of Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s Padmaavat, with its Chittorgarh unit chief claiming that over 1,900 women have signed up for “jauhar” are are “ready” to commit mass immolation.

Speaking to the media after the Supreme Court dismissed the plea of the Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh governments seeking a ban on the film, Lokendra Singh Kalvi, patron of the organisation, said: “It is disheartening to know that the Supreme Court hasn’t respected the public sentiments.

“Our Women Have Decided To Opt For Jauhar”, Says Karni Sena On Padmaavat

“However, now we are standing the in people’s court and are confident that people will support us to observe junta curfew,” he said.

Advertisement

Kalvi said he wanted the other six historians to be shown the movie. Only three of nine historians had been shown the film by Bhansali.

Meanwhile, a senior spokesperson of the Karni Sena from Chittorgarh said that “people from the city of Queen Padmavat are disheartened with the verdict of the Supreme Court”.