Ever since the promo launch of Dilwale, there have been quite a few queries around how the film would open and sustain. Well, it doesn’t require rocket science to ascertain that Dilwale is easily one of the biggest films of the year. There are various reasons for that:
– First and foremost, in Rohit Shetty, it has Bollywood’s most consistent and entertainment-savvy director at the helm of affairs. He thinks commercial, and only commercial, and has the best track record today
– The leading man here is Shahrukh Khan who hasn’t seen a flop since for 10 years now (Paheli released in 2005). Moreover, he comes with two double centuries and three centuries in a row behind him
– The film has Varun Dhawan as the other leading man and he is a formidable force himself with five successes in a row, as well as a huge fan following amongst the youth. He is clearly on a roll
– The leading ladies carry good weight too as Kajol has an impeccable track record with Shahrukh Khan while Kriti Sanon is much in demand today in the Bollywood circles
– The film is releasing a week before Christmas which sets the stage for it to make merry for the second (Christmas) and the third (New Year) weekend as well
With such factors together, the stage is set for Dilwale to be one of the Biggest Blockbusters of the year. Yes, the promo may have seen mixed reactions but then for biggies like these, it doesn’t really matter, as far as opening is concerned. Also, there is formidable competition from Bajirao Mastani as the Ranveer Singh and Deepika Padukone starrer is set to be quite huge as well. This makes it all the more interesting on 18th December.
Joginder Tuteja tweets @tutejajoginder