Happy New Year is easily the most anticipated film of the year. This Farah Khan directorial has an ensemble cast starring Shah Rukh Khan, Deepika Padukone, Abhishek Bachchan, Sonu Sood, Boman Irani and Vivaan Shah. Interestingly, the film is based on heist drama and considering that Hollywood has an expertise over this, we can’t help but find certain similarities between the kind of characters that this Bollywood film might have.
While Happy New Year introduced us to the six losers who come together for a robbery, here are a few similarities we found between Happy New Year’s characters and the ones of Italian Job.
1. Italian Job was based on a plan that had its target as a gold heist on the other hand Happy New Year seems to have a diamond heist.
2. Well, we are used to knowing the on-screen Shah Rukh Khan as either Raj or Rahul, but this time the actor is being introduced as Charlie. Indeed, Shah Rukh who is the lead plays the mastermind of the robbery in this film and so it reminds us of svelte Mark Wahlberg who played Charlie Croker the mastermind in Italian Job.
3. With a brigade of six losers, there is an uncanny resemblance of Sonu Sood’s character ‘Jag’ with Gilligan “Left Ear” of Italian Job as both have their left ear impaired.
4. While every heist requires a tech genius to break the codes, young Vivaan Shah takes the mantle and performs the character of Rohan who is a tech genius just like Seth Green as Lyle in Italian Job.
5. Considering that it is a heist, technology doesn’t break vaults and thus a safe cracker has to be a part of the plan. Instead of roping in a hot Charlize Theron like character of Italian Job, Farah settles with the quirky Boman Irani who has skills that are exceptional to break vaults.
6. Well, since it’s a Farah Khan film and not a remake of Italian Job, there is the sexy Mohini played by Deepika Padukone which is a strong female character enough to take on the five men with her ‘Toota Phoota’ English. Indeed, “Ezee nai hai ye character”.