2011 Wrap Up: Top Grossing Hollywood Films In India
Year on year, Hollywood films have been doing very good business at the Indian box-office. Koimoi.com lists the top grossing Hollywood films released in India in 2011:
Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2
Lifetime net collection in India (all versions): Rs. 35.88 crore
Attribute it to the magic of the Harry Potter series or to the fact that Deathly Hallows Part 2 was the much-anticipated finale of the blockbuster Harry Potter series, but the fact remains that fans of the franchise queued up in large numbers to make this film the top grossing Hollywood film in India in 2011.
Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol
Tom Cruise’s Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol, which is still running at theaters, had a perfect release in India, given the fact that no big Bollywood film released on Friday, December 16. Besides, the pre-release hype of the film in India was excellent, especially with the hero of the film coming down to Bombay for promotions. Ghost Protocol made an impressive Rs. 19 crore (net) from all its versions in its first weekend at the Indian box-office. There is no doubt that the Hollywood movie will go on to be one of the top three grossing Hollywood releases of the year in India.
Transformers: Dark Of The Moon
Lifetime net collection in India (all versions): Rs. 35. 83 crore
Transformers: Dark Of The Moon is second only to Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2, with a difference of only Rs. 5 lakh between the India box-office collections of the two films. In the coming days, this film might even cross the business of the Harry Potter film due to additional collections from repeat run shows.
Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Lifetime net collection in India (all versions): Rs. 33.95 crore
Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, which released in India on 20th May 2011, owed its success to the huge popularity of the Pirates brand and its star, Johny Depp, in India.
Fast & Furious 5
Lifetime net collection in India (all versions): Rs. 29.34 crore
Fast & Furious 5 (or Fast Five) is part of the Fast & Furious series which also happens to be a very popular Hollywood movie franchise in India. The film, which released on May 6 this year, is number four on our list.
The Adventures Of Tintin - The Secret Of The Unicorn
Lifetime net collection in India (all versions): Rs. 25.84 crore
This Steven Spielberg-Peter Jackson animation film, based on the famous comic book character Tintin, did fabulous business in India. In fact, it broke all records for the business of an animation film in India. The Adventures Of Tintin is still running at several places and may add Rs. 2 to 2.5 crore more to its total tally.
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1, another franchise film, which is very popular among teenagers, especially girls. It also did very good business in India. The second part of the film is expected to release in India in November 2012.
Kung Fu Panda 2
Lifetime net collection in India (all versions): Rs. 24 crore
This animation film, the sequel of Kung Fu Panda, good business in many Indian metros, where it ran for many weeks.
X-Men: First Class
Lifetime net collection in India (all versions): Rs. 22 crore
The X-Men series has become a very well-known Hollywood franchise in India, owing to the repeated telecast of its previous films on television. No doubt, X-Men: First Class did good business at the Indian box-office.
World Invasion: Battle Los Angeles
Lifetime net collection in India (all versions): Rs. 20 crore rupees
Battle LA, which released in India under the title, World Invasion: Battle Los Angles, was one of the few standalone movies (not a sequel or a franchise film) that topped the charts at the Indian box-office.
Lifetime net collection in India (all versions): Rs. 14.5 crore
Another sequel, Hangover 2, got a great opening at the Indian box-office this year. But as reports started pouring in, the collections slowly fizzled out. Yet, the film proved to be a worthy successor to Hangover if you consider the box-office performance.
Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes
In spite of not releasing in several multiplex chains due to a disagreement between the distributors and the multiplex chains, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes did good business at the Indian box-office.
Hollywood Films In India: Analysis
- Hollywood studios have understood that India is a huge market. Hence the huge number of releases, as well as the day-date releases (where the film releases simultaneously in India and the USA).
- The year 2011 proved good for both Bollywood as well as Hollywood films, as you had a number of hits and successes from Bollywood but also, at the same time, a number of profitable ventures from Hollywood.
- It is also observed, generally, that a film belonging to any series, which comes with high recall value, does well in India, just like in the USA.
- Hollywood’s animation films did good business in India, even if Bollywood animation films don’t do good business at all. But be it The Adventures Of Tintin or Kung Fu Panda 2 or Rio, Hollywood animation films were loved and adored by the Indian audiences.
More on Koimoi.com
- Watch The New Song Neendein Khul Jaati Hai From Hate Story 3
- Watch : Varun Dhawan & Kriti Sanon’s Peppy Romantic Song ‘Manma
- Watch : Ranbir – Deepika’s ‘Safarnama’ In Tamasha
- Amitabh Bachchan Debuts On Dubsmash With Ranveer Singh’s Bajirao Mastani D
- Watch The Official Trailer Of Action – Packed ‘Captain America : Civ
|Rs. 02.00 cr|
|Rs. 05.00 cr|
|Rs. 02.00 cr|
|Rs. 42.00 cr|