Back in August 2013, Shah Rukh Khan & Deepika Padukone brought a storm at the box office with their rom-com Chennai Express. The Rohit Shetty directorial released at the box office with massive expectations on August 9 and on August 8, the film enjoyed evening paid previews at some big cities.
It has now been 7 years since the release of the film and many of us have enjoyed it multiple times again since then. Today, let’s have a look at the Box Office records the film created 7 years back.
1) With an opening day of 33.10 crores, Chennai Express recorded the highest opening day of all time till then. It broke the opening record of Ek Tha Tiger which did a business of 32.92 crores. Both were holiday releases.
2) Including the 6.75 crores business it enjoyed during paid previews, Chennai Express did a business of 100.35 crores in its first weekend. It was the highest weekend of all time till then as it crossed the record of Ek Tha Tiger i.e. 100.05 crores (5 Day Extended Weekend).
3) Chennai Express was also the fastest 100 crore grosser of that time. It hit the century on its 4th day (1st day was paid previews) while Ek Tha Tiger did so on its 5th day of release.
4) The lifetime business of the film was 226.70 crores which made it the highest grosser of all time till then.
5) In Aug 2013, Chennai Express had broken the unbeatable record of 3 Idiots which was unbeatable since Dec 2009. The Aamir Khan, R. Madhavan, Sharman Joshi & Kareena Kapoor starrer had done a business of 202 crores which no film could cross until Chennai Express.
6) Chennai Express was also the fastest 200 crore grosser back then, of course!
7) Chennai Express is still the highest-grossing film of Shah Rukh Khan.
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section.