We all have grown up watching X-Men movies. From the first film till the Dark Phoenix, we like some movies and a few didn’t impress us. But, they all play a key role in our life. Thanks to this 2000 film, we got to see great talents like Patrick Stewart, Hugh Jackman, Ian McKellen, Halle Berry, Famke Janssen, James Marsden, Bruce Davison, Rebecca Romijn-Stamos, Ray Park, and Anna Paquin.
Directed by Bryan Singer and written by David Hayter, it has been 20 years since X-Men released. Can you believe it? 20 years since Patrick Stewart played Professor X, Hugh Jackman became Wolverine and Rebecca Romijn-Stamos played Mystique. Today, on the film’s 20th anniversary, have shared some mind-blowing facts and trivia with y’all.
1. Until 2015, X-Men was the only film in the franchise which had an original story. The other films were loosely based on different chapters of the comic books.
2. The first actor to be hired for the film was Patrick Stewart. He plays Professor X in the film. The reason he was first one to be cast in X-Men is because he was always fan-favourite for the role since the 90s.
3. Ever wondered why Hugh Jackman is SO PERFECT as Wolverine? Well, he took a lot of efforts to get into the skin of the characters. Hugh would take ice-cold water showers. As described on IMDB, “This tradition started when jumping into the shower at 5 a.m., before realizing there was no hot water. Shocked awake, but not wanting to wake his sleeping wife, he gritted his teeth and bore it, before realizing that this mindset, wanting to scream and lash out at something, but having to hold it in, was the mentality that Wolverine is in constantly. He then made cold showers his Wolverine preparation routine for each movie featuring the character.”
4. X-Men was going to have a feature by Gambit as a student. His character was going to appear with a basketball which would explode. Thus, we were going to witness how his power charges an object with kinetic energy and blows up. But director Bryan Singer decided to cancel the idea. He thought the audience wouldn’t understand the reason for his cameo.
5. Director Bryan Singer refused to direct this movie three times. He was of the opinion that comic books aren’t intelligent literature. But when he read X-Men comics, he found it compelling. Thus, he agreed on the film.
6. We cannot imagine anyone else playing Wolverine other than Hugh Jackman. The actor has decided to not play it anymore. He was so good with his performance that finding a replacement is a huge challenge now. But did you know Hugh wasn’t the first choice to play the clawed superhero? The role for first offered to Russell Crowe, but he rejected it. Other actors who were on the list were Mel Gibson, Aaron Eckhart, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Viggo Mortensen, Edward Norton, Bob Hoskins, Keanu Reeves and Gary Sinise. Dougray Scott was cast as Wolverine, but due to shooting clash with Mission: Impossible 2 and motorbike accident, he had to walk away. That’s when Russell Crowe suggests Hugh’s name to Bryan Singer. We are forever thankful for Russell Crowe for the same.