Bollywood star Salman Khan has told the Supreme Court that he was not driving his Toyota Land Cruiser when it killed a man in Mumbai in 2002 but police were trying to implicate him in the case.
Claiming that his driver Ashok Singh was at the wheels, Salman said in an affidavit filed on March 17 that the prosecution had failed to produce a single witness or a photograph showing that he was driving it.
The affidavit became public knowledge only on Wednesday.
The statement followed a notice issued by the apex court issued on February 19 on a Maharashtra government’s petition challenging the Bombay High Court verdict acquitting the film star in the case.
The high court had on December 10, 2015 acquitted Salman, saying that the prosecution had failed to prove the charges against the actor on all counts.
Salman was found guilty by a sessions court on May 6 last year and convicted for, among others, culpable homicide not amounting to murder, and sentenced to five years in jail for the accident which killed one man and injured four others. All victims were sleeping on the pavement.
Salman also denied he was drunk at the time of the accident, saying he was keeping away from alcoholic beverages in preparation for the shooting of the film Garv.
Telling the apex court that the accident took place as the left front tyre burst resulting in the vehicle spinning out of control, Salman said driver Ashok Singh was driving towards his home at 40-50 km an hour from JW Marriott to Hill Road.