In this series, we look at Hindi cinema’s blockbusters that are worth a revisit to know what makes our cinema, stars and music tick. Of course, each film has a contemporary relevance in some way. We now look at Subhash Ghai’s Ram Lakhan, the iconic 1989 super-hit.
Ram Lakhan (1989)
Produced by: ASHOK GHAI
Directed by: SUBHASH GHAI
Starring: RAAKHEE, ANIL KAPOOR, JACKIE SHROFF, DIMPLE KAPADIA, MADHURI DIXIT
Did You Know?
- That the Golden Jubilee film, released in early 1989, would have been the biggest hit of that year had Maine Pyar Kiya not released on the last Friday of that year?
- That Anil Kapoor and Jackie Shroff have co-starred in ten films so far and this has been their biggest hit together? In 1989 itself, they also had Kaala Bazaar and Parinda.
- That after Tezaab in 1988 and this film, the Anil Kapoor-Madhuri Dixit pairing became a rage?
- That after Anupam Kher played Dr. Dang, the iconic villain in Subhash Ghai’s earlier Anil Kapoor-Jackie Shroff film, Karma, he was cast in a comic role here?
- That Anil Kapoor’s character is so popular even now? He is often addressed by fans as Lakhan, a role for which Ghai is said to have first wanted old favourite Shatrughan Sinha!
- That R.D. Burman was to score music for Ghai when the film was to be produced by Ashok Khanna, composer Usha Khanna’s brother? When Subhash’s brother Ashok Ghai took over the production, Laxmikant-Pyarelal, Ghai regulars, entered the film.
- That Ram Lakhan ended up with multiple music distinctions and is the first-ever Indian film whose individual score was issued on a Compact Disc (CD)?
- That the music was such a rage that HMV (as Saregama was know then) announced a “Quadruple” (four times) Platinum Disc for massive sales of cassettes and CDs?
- That the song One two ka four topped the Cibaca Geet Mala’s annual countdown in popularity, and along with the film’s theme song, Mere do anmol rattan, became a new film’s title later?
- That the song Bada dukh deena was adjudged the annual Best Classical Composition in a Hindi film that year by the famous cultural organization, Sur-Singar Samsad?
- That Karan Johar and Rohit Shetty have jointly announced a remake in 2015. Who will play the iconic Ram and Lakhan and who will do the music? An interesting thought: will Harshvardhan Kapoor and Tiger Shroff come together?
– Rajiv Vijayakar, a Senior Journalist, Film & Music Critic and Historian for Hindi cinema and Film Music is also an Author and Twice Jury Member at 58th and 62nd National Film Awards.
Rajiv Vijayakar tweets @rajivvijayakar
Download Our New Box Office App And Enjoy Reading Box Office Updates & Archives On Your Android Phone.