In this series, we look at Hindi cinema’s blockbusters that are worth a revisit to know what makes our cinema, stars and music tick. Of course, each film has a contemporary relevance in some way. We now look at Maine Pyar Kiya, Salman Khan’s first lead role, almost 26 years ago.
MAINE PYAR KIYA (1989)
Produced by: Tarachand Barjatya
Directed by: Sooraj R. Barjatya
Starring: Salman Khan, Bhagyashree & Mohnish Bahl
Did you know?
- That the filmmakers were originally toying with Vikas Bhalla (later actor and singer) forthe role eventually done by salman Khan? Other contenders included Deepak Tijori and even Piyush Mishra!
- That Salman Khan came in, recommended by model Shabina Dutt, who was herself rejected as the female lead?
- That Salman Khan had made his debut in a secondary lead, barely noticed, in the Farouque Shaikh-Rekha average success Biwi Ho To Aisi more than a year earlier?
- That the film’s plotline was a clever tweak on the story of Bobby?
- That with the chart-topping songs of this film, music label Saregama (then known for decades as HMV) revived its flagging fortunes? The company was to almost shut shop when Ram Lakhan, Chandni and the biggest musical hit of them all, Maine Pyar Kiya, bailed it out.
- That the hit songs established South stalwart S.P. Balasubramaniam for some time as the voice of Salman Khan and as a leading singer in Mumbai? For some years, he sometimes spent a week in town doing recordings.
- That Mohnish Bahl rejuvenated his career as a villain? He was Nutan’s son and had been unsuccessful as a hero for six years.
- That Alok Nath, Reema Lagoo and big-name hero of Marathi films Laxmikant Berde made it big with this film? Berde became a top comedian while remaining a top Marathi hero.
- That even today, in terms of return of investment and nett business adjusted to inflation, the film remains one of the dozen all-time greatest hits in Hindi cinema history?
– Rajiv Vijayakar, a Senior Journalist, Film & Music Critic and Historian for Hindi cinema and Film Music is also an Author and Twice Jury Member at 58th and 62nd National Film Awards.
Rajiv Vijayakar tweets @rajivvijayakar
Download Our New Box Office App And Enjoy Reading Box Office Updates & Archives On Your Android Phone.