- Box Office
- News & Gossip
- Power Index
- About Koimoi | Search Latest Bollywood, Hollywood & T.V Updates
Name: Dolly Ahluwalia
1) In the year 1993, Dolly Ahluwalia along with Aline Gilmore was nominated for the prestigious Genie Award for Best Achievement in Costume Designing for ‘The Burning Season’.
2) Three years later in 1996, she won the National Film Award for the Best Costume Design in the film ‘Bandit Queen’.
3) In 2001 Dolly Ahluwalia was presented with the prestigious Sangeet Natak Academy Award for Costume Design.
4) In 2006 she was again nominated for the Genie Award for the Best Achievement in the field of Costume Designing for Deepa Mehta’s film ‘Water’.
5) The following year in 2007, she was awarded the Filmfare Best Costumes Award for the film ‘Omkara’ directed by Vishal Bhardwaj.
6) In 2008 Dolly was again nominated for the Genie Best Achievement in Costume Design Award for Vic Sarin’s ‘Partition’.
7) Recently in the year 2012, she won the prestigious National Film Award for the Best Supporting Actress for her role in Shoojit Sircar’s ‘Vicky Donor’.
Biography: Dolly Ahluwalia is a well known Indian costume designer and television and film actress. She did her graduation from the prestigious National School of Drama situated at New Delhi. Dolly began her illustrious career as a costume designer and she started with designing costumes for theatres.Her very first project was Shekhar Kapoor’s 1994 flick ‘Bandit Queen’ which was based upon the life of Phoolan Devi. Next up she started appearing in various films as an actress and over the years she has worked with some of the very famous Indian directors such as Vishal Bhardwaj and Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra. In the year 1995, she had even appeared in a television series called ‘Amma and Family’.
Some of the films for which she had designed costumes are ‘Bandit Queen’, ‘Omkara’, ‘Water’, ‘The Blue Umbrella’, ‘Aaja Nachle’, ‘Blood Brothers’, ‘Love Aaj Kal’, ‘Kaminey’, ‘Luv Shuv Tey Chicken Khurana’, ‘Midnight’s Children’ and ‘Bhaag Milkha Bhaag’.
Some of the films in which she starred as an actress are ‘Mudda: The Issue’, ‘Yahaan’, ‘Water’, ‘The Blue Umbrella’, ‘Aloo Chaat’, ‘Ek Noor’, ‘Vicky Donor’, Luv Shuv Tey Chicken Khurana’, ‘Saadi Love Story’, ‘Bajatey Raho’ and ‘Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani’.