Mithun Chakraborty's Biography
Name: Mithun Chakraborty
Birthday: 16th July, 1950
Marital Status: Mithun Chakraborty tied the knot with Yogeeta Bali, a former actress in the year 1979. They have 3 sons and 1 daughter: Mimoh Chakraborty, Rimoh Chakraborty, Namashi Chakraborty and Dishani Chakraborty.
1) In 1976 and 1996, Mithun won the Best Actor Award at the National Film awards for ‘Mrigaya’ and ‘Tahader Kotha’ respectively.
2) In the year 1998, he won the National Film Award for the best Supporting Actor category for his role in the film ‘Swami Vivekananda’.
3) In 1990, he won the Filmfare Best Supporting Actor Award for ‘Agneepath’.
4) He was presented the Filmfare as well as the Star Screen award in 1995 for the Best Villain category for his role in T L V Prasad’s ‘Jallaad’.
5) In 2007, Mithun won two prestigious awards: Lifetime Achievement Award and Role Model of the Year award from Stardust.
6) Mithun had received the Bengali Journalists’ Association Awards for the Best Actor category in 1977 and 1995 for ‘Mrigaya’ and ‘Tahader Kotha’ respectively.
7) He also received the Anandalok Special Editor award in 1999. In 2007, he received the same award for the Best Actor category for his outstanding role in ‘Minister Fatakeshto’.
Biography: Mithun Chakraborty, the Disco Dancer virtually ruled the Bollywood industry during the 80s. If regional films are included, then Mithun Chakraborty can be said to have appeared in over 200 films. His contribution to the Indian film industry has been immense and even today at the age of 63 years he continues the work which he had started long time back when he had first entered the film industry.
Mithun Chakraborty, who was originally known by the name of Gouranga, was born to a Bengali family in Kolkata, West Bengal. He completed his education from the renowned Scottish Church College, Kolkata, from where he received his undergraduate degree in chemistry (BSc). Later he passed out from the prestigious Film and Television Institute of India, Pune. Before joining the Indian film industry, Mithun was an ardent Naxalite, but later tragedy struck him when his brother died in an accident as a result of which he withdrew himself from the Naxalite group although this action of his made him put his life at a greater risk.
He started his journey in the Indian Film Industry with Mrinal Sen’s film, ‘Mirigaya’ (1976). His performance in this film earned him lots of appreciation and accolades from the film community. He came into the limelight later in the 1970s for his role in the ‘Surakshaa’ (1979), directed by Ravikant Nagaich. In the 1980s, Mithun played some leading roles in ‘Wardaat’,‘Hum Paanch’, ‘Aadat se Majboor’ and ‘Unees-Bees’ for which he became the most demanded star in the 1980s.
His breath taking role came finally in the musical drama film, ‘Disco Dancer’ (1980), directed by Babbar Subhash. This film was a big success and it remains an all-time favorite. ‘Disco Dancer’ and other similar films like ‘Dance Dancer’ (1987) and ‘Kasam Paida Karne Wale Ki’ (1984) brought out the dancer in him. As Big B entered politics, Mithun Chakraborty became Bollywood’s numero uno with consecutive hits and after Amitabh Bachchan, he became the next highest paid movie star in Bollywood. Mithun, in the 1980s also played his role in numerous romantic films and family dramas like ‘Ghar Ek Mandir’, ‘Pyaar Jhukta Nahin’, ‘Pyaar Ka Mandir’, ‘Swarag Se Sunder’and ‘Mujhe Insaaf Chahiye’.
Later in the mid-90s, Mithun took a much needed break from Mumbai and he moved to Ooty where he opened up his own hotel business under the brand name ‘Monarch’. He operates his hotels in Siliguri, Kolkata, Ooty, Darjeeling and Mudhumalai. For a decade, many considered Mithun to be a ‘One Man Army’ as he had appeared in more than 80 movies over 10 years. Later on, he moved from mainstream commercial Hindi films to regional movies of low budget. He catered to the viewers of Bihar and Madhya Pradesh, where he, till today has a lot followers, all thanks to his involvement in Bhojpuri films. His biggest Bhojpuri hit came with his debut film ‘Bhole Shankar’. He was the India’s highest tax payer for a span of five years during1995 to 1999.While working in Bollywood, Mithun has also worked in some major blockbuster Bengali films such as ‘Troyee’, ‘Tahader Kotha’, ‘Swarna Trishna’, ‘Annay Abichar and ‘Jiban Yuddha’. Post 2000 , he became much more involved in Bengali movies. He appeared in ‘Titli’ (2002) directed by Rituparno Ghosh, ‘Kaalpurush’(2008) directed by Buddhadeb Dasgupta and later on he starred in several hits like ‘Ami Subhash Bolchi’, ‘Target-The Final Mission’ and ‘Shukno Lanka’. Some of his latest hits are ‘Le Halua Le’ and ‘Nobel Chor’.
In 2005, Mithun made his comeback in Bollywood with the not so successful film ‘Elaan’. He then went on to play a supporting role in the Radhika Rao and Vinay Sapru directed ‘Lucky: No Time for Love’ which became a major hit at the box office. He earned a lot of appreciation for his role in the film ‘Chingari’(2005) directed by Kalpana Lazmi. He also received lots of accolades for his performance in the 2007 Mani Ratnam directed movie ‘Guru’. In 2009 he played a role in the children’s film ‘Zor Laga Ke…Haiya!’ which received multiple international awards. His other movie titled ‘Chal Chalein’ also received worldwide appreciation for the bold theme it portrayed.
Mithun Chakraborty has also appeared in several television reality shows. He was the head judge of the Indian dance reality show ‘Dance India Dance’ which is aired on Zee TV and is produced by UTV Software Communications. He hosts the reality game show named ‘Dadagiri Unlimited’ and is the grand master of ‘Dance India Dance Li’l Masters’ on a channel called Zee Bangla/Zee TV.
Mithun has also played a considerable role in the field of sports. He was the joint owner of a team (Royal Bengal Tigers) in the presently abandoned ICL (Indian Cricket league). Apart from this, he also jointly owns the ‘Bengali Football Academy’ which has the aim to promote and showcase various football talents from in and around the country.
Mithun Chakraborty's Gallery
Mithun Chakraborty's Wallpapers
Mithun Chakraborty's News
- Annu Kapoor, Sanjay Dutt, Mithunda or Nawazuddin Siddiqui: Who Is 2012′s Best Supporting Actor?
- Sanjay Dutt, Prakash Raj, Gulshan Devaiah, Bipasha Basu – Who Donned The Negative Role With Aplomb In 2012?
- Shah Rukh, Salman, Aamir, Ajay, Akshay, Ranbir: Who will win the race with the Best Poster of 2012?
- Yaad Aa Raha Hai: Disco Fever is Back but the Mashups Rule?
- Housefull 2 Will Take A Good Opening At Box-Office
Mithun Chakraborty's Movies List
|Rs. 05.30 cr|
|Rs. 02.35 cr|
|Rs. 05.05 cr|
|Rs. 31.00 cr|
|Rs. 27.25 cr|