Name: Johnny Lever
Birthdate: 14th of August, 1957
Marital Status: He tied the knot with Sujatha and they have a son names Jesse and a daughter named Jamie. However in the year 1991, Johnny Lever again got married to Savita Simak, his second wife.
1) In the year 1997, Johnny Lever won the Star Screen Best Comedian Award for his role in ‘Raja Hindustani’.
2) In 1998 and 1999, he grabbed the Filmfare Best Comedian Awards for ‘Deewana Mastana’ and ‘Dulhe Raja’ respectively.
3) Next up, in 2002, Johnny Lever won the prestigious Zee Cine Best Actor in a Comic Role Award for his performance in the film ‘Love Ke Liye Kuchh Bhi Karega’.
1) Johnny Lever appeared on his comedy show called ‘Johny Aala Re’ aired on Zee TV.
2) In the year 2007, he was a judge on the sets of ‘Comedy Circus’, which is a stand up comedy reality show.
3) Johnny is the president of the Cine and T.V Art Association (also known as CINTAA). This house has its own TV show by the name of ‘Superstars ka Jalwa’, aired on Star Plus.
4) Apart from CINTAA, he is also the president of the Mimicry Artist Association Mumbai (also known as MAAM) and has done numerous live shows all around the globe.
Biography: Johnny Lever was born as John Prakasa Rao Janumala on the 14th of August, 1957 to Karunamma Janumala and Prakash Rao Janumala in the district of Prakasam in Andhra Pradesh, India. Telegu is his mother tongue and he had been brought up in Mumbai’s King’s Circle Area in Dharavi. He did his schooling from the Andhra Telegu School and he pursued his education till the seventh grade. He left school after that due to financial problems in the family. He then started doing odd jobs like selling pens on the busy streets of Mumbai by mimicking several Bollywood stars and also dancing to several Bollywood songs. Jimmy Moses, his brother is also a renowned comedian who has worked on the sets of ‘Comedy Circus’ as well as ‘The Great Indian Laughter Challenge’. During his early days in the city of Yakutpura in Hyderabad, he started learning comedy acting. He was greatly inspired by comedians like Mehmood, Kishor Kumar and Johnny Walker and he developed a passion for stand up comedy and mimicry. He was also greatly influenced by mimicry artists such as Nerella Venumadhav and Dinesh Hingoo. He then sought the guidance of Pratap Jani, his mentor and Ram Kumar, the mimicry artist to learn the art of mimicry.
Johnny Lever had been an employee in a factory in Mumbai belonging to Hindustan Lever. During his working hours, he often entertained his colleagues by imitating the American singer and actor, Elvis Presley. He once even performed on stage at some function in his factory. Johnny’s popularity amongst his colleagues and officers got him the nickname of ‘Johnny Lever’.
He started performing in musical orchestras like Tabassum Hit Parade and soon after getting fame, he enrolled himself in the group of the legendary music direction duo, Kalyanji and Anandji. With them, Johnny Lever did numerous stage shows and world tours through which he got a lot of appreciation and exposure. The tour with Amitabh Bachchan in the year 1982, was his biggest tour initially.
The actor, Sunil Dutt once witnessed Johnny’s performance in one of his shows and he was quite impressed by Johnny’s talent and potential. He thus offered him a role in the film ‘Dard Ka Rishta’ which was Johnny’s very first film in his career.
During the 1980s, Johnny Lever released his comedy/mimicry album called ‘Hansee Ke Hungame’ which was a hit both at the domestic market as well at the overseas market. The success of this album increased his popularity to a higher level. He had even appeared on television commercials like the one directed by Shekhar Kapoor for ‘Kachua chhap’ incense.
In the year 1986, Johnny Level performed in a charity programme called ‘Hope 86’. He performed in front of the whole Hindi filming community as fillerand his performance at the show was greatly appreciated by the audience. Seeing his talent the renowned producer Gul Anand offered Johnny a role in his film ‘Jalwa’ with the famous Naseeruddin Shah.
Johnny Lever got his very first break in ‘Tum Par Hum Qurban’ followed by ‘Dard Ka Rishta’. He has acted in above 350 movies which included movies like ‘Kishen Kanhaiya’, ‘Khatarnak’, ‘Kasam’ and ‘Tezaab’. His first major breakthrough came with the Abbas Mustan film ‘Baazigar’.His role of that of ‘Babulal’ in this film was greatly appreciated by many. Following ‘Baazigar’, Johnny appeared in almost every other movie in a supporting role. Apart from movies, he even tried his hand in numerous live shows. One of his most famous live performances was at the 1999 Filmfare awards where he impersonated the sensational pop singer and dancer, Michael Jackson.
His very first Tamil movie was a film produced by SIMPL (short form for Shepherd India Media Private Limited), by the name of ‘Anbirkku Alavillai’. He also did a cameo in the Mahesh Bhatt directed Telegu flick titled ‘Criminal’ (1995).
Some of his filmography includes ‘Tum Par Hum Qurban’, ‘Love 86’, ‘Main Balwan’, ‘Jalwa’, ‘Ghar Mein Ram Gali Mein Shyam’, ‘Hatya’, ‘Kasam’, ‘Aakhri Adalat’, ‘Hero Hiralal’ ‘Tezaab’, ‘Suryaa’, ‘Mujrim’, ‘Jaadugar’, ‘Kala Bazaar’, ‘Chaalbaaz’, ‘Savior’, ‘Khiladi 786’, ‘Housefull 2’, ‘Sandwich’, ‘Players’, ‘Tell Me O Khuda’, ‘Golmaal 3’, ‘Khatta Meetha’ and numerous other films.
- ABCD 2 Jukebox (Full Album) | Varun Dhawan – Shraddha Kapoor
- Hamari Adhuri Kahani’s 3rd Song ‘Hasi’ | Ft. Emraan, Vidya
- Mat Ja Re Song Video | Tanu Weds Manu Returns | Ft. Kangana Ranaut, R. Madhavan
- Miss Tanakpur Haazir Ho’s Official Trailer | Ft. Rahul Bagga, Hrishita Bha
- Masaan (Fly Away Solo) Official Trailer | Ft. Richa Chadda, Sanjay Mishra
|Rs. 22.27 cr|
|Rs. 65.22 cr|
|Rs. 04.00 cr|
|Rs. 84.00 cr|
|Rs. 69.82 cr|